How Plumbing Issues Can Flood Your Basement
Different Types of Plumbing Issues
There are many different types of plumbing issues that can cause basement floods. A plumbing flood can be devastating and impact your basement walls, floors, or personal belongings. If the water damage is left untreated, it can lead to even more extensive issues.
Plumbing floods can occur for several different reasons, including:
Most washer hoses are made from old-fashioned rubber hoses that cannot withstand the constant pressure over a long period of time. Washer hoses withstand about 50psi of water when they are in use. The old rubber hoses can easily wear out over time and burst, causing a flood.
Water heaters are designed to automatically refill themselves, so if there is a leak it could be devastating to your basement. The constant water supply can easily flood your basement through a leak and cause extensive damage in a short amount of time.
Many of your home’s pipes are located in the basement. A burst water or sewer pipe can instantly flood your basement from all of the water pressure. As many pipes lay below your basement floor, this can sometimes be difficult to identify before it’s too late.
Water Damage Caused by Plumbing Issues
The unfortunate part of plumbing floods is that they can cause major flooding in a short amount of time. As most plumbing fixtures have a constant water supply, water can quickly pour into your basement and cause extensive flood damage.
Some water damage may be more extreme than others, but any amount of water in your basement is bad news. If a plumbing issue were to occur in your basement, you could be faced with the following issues from water damage:
- Wet walls, floors, and personal belongings: Once water enters your basement, it can spread everywhere. It can pool up on your floor, create condensation on your walls, and be destructive to any personal belongings in the way.
- Mold growth: In order for mold to grow, there has to be moisture present. A wet basement is the perfect environment for mold to grow in, which can be hazardous to your health.
- Increase of bugs and pests: Bugs and pests love to live in dark and damp environments. If your basement has moisture issues caused by a plumbing flood, it can create a desirable environment for unwanted pests.
- Musty odors: Untreated water damage can give off a foul odor over time, impacting the air quality in your basement as well as the rest of your home.
- Wood rot: If there are exposed wooden joists or beams in your basement, water can build up and damage the wood and cause it to rot and become weak. Weakened floor joists can cause even bigger problems like uneven floors inside your home.
Basement Waterproofing Solutions
If your basement is impacted by a plumbing flood, we offer the following solutions to protect it from water damage and keep it a clean, dry, healthy space.
- Basement drainage system
- Waterproof wall panels
- Vapor barrier
Each solution serves a specific purpose and provides protection from water damage for your basement.
Let Total Foundations Solutions Protect Your Home from Plumbing Flood
A plumbing flood can be devastating to your basement. Total Foundation Solutions is Northwestern Pennsylvania and Western New York’s trusted company to protect your basement from water damage.
Contact us today for your free basement waterproofing estimate!